The Scott Fish Bowl commences on July 11th. We asked Zach Law to interview some of the participants about the experience. Today’s subject: Matt Harmon — writer for NFL.com and owner of the beloved Charlie.
1. Can you give me a two-sentence introduction to your fantasy football “personna”? Include your Twitter handle.
2. Who in your division do you want to take down the most?
Definitely Pat Thorman. He’s one of the people in the fantasy world that whenever he says something or has a take on a player my ears perk up. I respect his work a ton and he’s a good fantasy player, as well. Going against him will be a challenge and one that I hope I come out on the winning end of.
3. Do you have a strategy already set up for the draft or do you let the board fall to you?
More often than not I’m going to let things fall to me, but this year I don’t want to get left out in the cold with quarterbacks. Last year in both the SFB and a Superflex dynasty league I tried to kick the quarterback can down the road too far and had to play a ton of Alex Smith and Tyrod Taylor. That can work, but I think I’ll be aiming a little higher with my QB1 selection this year.
4. If you got to pick your draft slot, what would you take and why?
I really like picking at 1.04 this year. There’s at least a chance one of the elite upper-tier WR1s (Brown, Beckham, Jones) falls to you there or you get your pick of the litter at running back. As a dark horse option, I don’t mind pulling the trigger on the fourth wide receiver who I believe can join those three at the fourth spot either. In all the MFL10s and mocks I’ve done so far it appears that the 1.04 offers the most flexibility in the first and there are still quality options at the end of the second round like Mark Ingram or Demaryius Thomas.
5. If you could select four people in the Scott Fish Bowl (#SFB480) to have either a beer or dinner with, who would it be?
Oh man, that’s really tough because honestly I’d like to sit down and have a drink with just about anyone in the community. That’s a serious thought, so if you are ever in the Los Angeles area hit me up and we’ll make it happen.
However, I’ll go ahead and call out four who I have not already met in person:
- Bob Harris seems like he has a litany of good stories to tell and has always been really kind in our interactions. I bet that night of throwing a few back could get wild.
- I always say that my favorite podcast to guest on was the Faked Goods (RIP) so I’m going to combine Rich Hribar and Chad Scott into one answer. I’d love to meet them both and perhaps we could drink and do an in-person version of the show on the 2017 wide receiver draft class next year.
- I think JJ Zachariason would be a fun guy to hang out with, as well. Definitely a person you can enjoy some beers with, compare Mario Kart notes and talk about Denny behind his back.
- Lastly, I have to take out the man himself, Scott Fish, just to thank him for this whole thing. Considering his food preferences though, I’m not sure where we’d actually end up eating.
6. What’s one non-fantasy football related interest you have that would surprise the rest of the SFB?
The surprise part is probably tough considering I blast every single thought I have out on Twitter. I suppose one “hobby” I don’t talk about much is that I smoke a tobacco pipe on occasion. I’m pretty health conscious so I don’t do it much, but every once in awhile I enjoy it. You can really get some fantastic flavors at good shops.
Thanks to Matt for answering and Zach for hosting. You can find Zach on Twitter @zach_law and make sure you visit his website — Zachlawonline.com. You can catch him on Going for Two every week, talking football, beer, and just about anything else with co-host Sharona Stormborn.